Preparation 20 minutes
Cook 4 hours 40 minutes
Total time 5 hours
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5kg piece beef brisket
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 streaky bacon rashers, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Gravox Fuller Flavour Gravy ( Box Powder)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 375ml bottle stout
- 1 cup beef stock
- Serve with mashed potato and salad
Made With Gravox
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan-forced.
- Heat 1/2 the oil in a large heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef for 5 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in same dish over medium heat. Add leek, carrot and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until leek has softened. Add tomato paste, Gravox Fuller Flavour Gravy Powder, thyme, garlic and bay leaves. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in Stout and stock. Season with pepper.
- Return beef to dish. Cover. Bring to the boil. Transfer dish to oven. Bake for 4 hours, turning beef halfway through cooking.
- Remove and discard thyme and bay leaves. Roughly shred beef in dish. Bake, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes or until tender.
- Serve brisket with mashed potato and salad.